Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gaps between surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

L3munoz

Industrial
Aug 29, 2011
ES
Hi everybody!

I've being working with Surface Design in order to build up my train model, and I got pretty good results. However, there is something which is driving me crazy! The point is that the volume is defined by four surfaces (actually there are more, but let's say the shell is just these four surfaces), but them are not well connected.

As you can see in the pictures I attached there are some gaps in some regions which I cannot understand why they appear. In fact the boundary edge is the same for both surfaces, but it seems as if the surface cannot follow the guide (this surface was created by sweep tool). In other cases in which just a surface is considered, I still have the same problem, as if surface weren't well defined and it doesn't have as a boundary the specified curve.

Does anybody have any idea why this is happening, and how to deal with it??

I'd really appreciate any help, so advices are welcome! Thanks in advance,

L3munoz.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Use healing assistance workbench. Join the surfacas first (turn of the connexity checker if needed), check the surface with Surface connection checker (turn on inernal edges). Then it depends on the result what needs to be done, if it is a gap (sometime it may just look like a gap until you tighten the visual tolerance) you can use the values from the checker to apply local join or local healing to fix it. If healing doesn't work plan B is to take out a rectangular hole (make it so small as possible but try to remove the lower vertx point) and fill it up.

To the question why you got this I would guess that the calculated spine wasn't good enough (it didn't cover the whole area). You could try creating your own spine, if you do that using the section or guides it will probably give you a hint why it didn't work in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back