Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Garage Built Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Twenty years ago, kids who started engineering school already knew how to make stuff, they just wanted to learn how to make it better/ faster/ lighter.

Lemme think about it. One biplane glider in two weeks by two guys who choose to have nothing else to do? From plans? Credible. A bit longer if they have no power tools.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Looks like a plane built on that "Junkyard Wars" show a few years ago.

It's so obvious to me that such a rotten photo clearly ruins a guy's credibility. If it's worth selling, it's worth a decent photo or two, but some people can't be bothered.

Steven Fahey, CET

few days of reserch, little bit of math, little bit of imagination, few google serches, and you can comeup with and build a death trap like that your self.

$14 is cheep enough, you can buy the plans and if your duped, it's not really a big loss

Let's see now; Many years ago, When I was in A&P school I bought a set of plans for a swept wing tailess biplane glider,called an " Icarus II " , designed by an engineering student named Taras ( ? someone help me out here ), and built it from aluminum tubing, pop rivits , and dacron dress lining for the envelope; in my two bedroom apartment in Hermosa Beach, Ca. Drove my roommate crazy. But intrestingly, a few months ago I was at the NBAA convention in Orlando & saw the 'recreation' of Santos-Dumont's "14-bis" done by Embraer as a tribute. It was amazing how much the two 'aircraft' had in common, as well as that ebay 'aircraft'.

It's a bad photo, but, at first glance, it doesn't look like a 110 lb structure. I'm also not believing that an 8 HP lawnmower engine will get it off the ground.

Also, a decent prop will probably eat up your $400 cost estimate right there.

I could be wrong....but it looks fishy to me.

--
Great Spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
-- Albert Einstein

I think the Icarus glider was featured in that movie where the girl flies an ultralight to lead geese in their migration.
Her dad flew one into a tree if I remember correctly.
I would say that something like that, a tube structrure and no engine is easy to build by amateurs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back