Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Garbage room 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

I need to cool a garbage room so as to reduce odor due to spoiling of organic matters. What is the internal garbage room temperature I should be designing for? The garbage is taken out once daily, usually at night, to a dump site.

Please indicate which refernece is used to obtain the information from

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are many ways to deal with odor depending on the types of odor. Human perception of odors is more a function of humidity than temperature; so humidity control is the key here. Likewise is the issue of bacteria growth. Another approach is good ventilation and fresh air intake. I suggest you get a copy of the latest ASHRAE fundamentals handbook and review it as it pertains to your particular situation. There is a chapter devoted to odor control.

I have several island hotel projects with the same requirement.
The unit was sized at 150 square feet per ton.
The thermostat is set at 60 deg F.
The unit runs 24/7.
The walls and ceiling have R-30 insulation.
Be sure to have a floor drain and a hose bibb in the room to wash the room down everyday.

Thanks, Steve. That's what I like: specific, experience-based information! I'll save your respnse under "garbage, odor control"! -:)

Quantum2 -

If the garbage is removed once daily, I wouldn't focus on AC so much as exhaust ventilation. No scientific evidence to back this claim, but bacterial growth between a 60°F room and an 80°F room probably wouldn't be orders of magnitude different in a 24-hour period. With a daily turnaround of trash from this space, a majority of growth might occur at the various points of origin of the trash rather than the dumpster location.

Current standards for exhaust for odorous or potentially hazardous areas is 1 cfm per square foot, and you will want to make up air at about .8 cfm per square foot to keep the space negative relative to surrounding areas. Most of these areas I've seen are in loading docks or areas where room conditions (e.g., open bay doors) would preclude full air conditioning.

I agree with provisions for drainage and a daily wash-down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back