Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gas cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

saldanha

Chemical
Jan 2, 2004
ZA
One of the byproduct of our process is a gas containing mainly CO and H2, but also CO2,N2 and CH4. This gas is used by down stream users as fuel. Unfortunatly this gas contain also dust and water(condensate). this results in the blockage of nozzles and valves.
I have been asked to design a system to clean the gas off this dust and condensate.
I need your help inthe following:
1. the procedure to follow in acheiving this
2. the different techniques available for this purpose

The flow rate of the gas is of 20000m3/h

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Use a filter-separator.

Call a vendor's local rep for assistance in determining performance and sizing. For a flow rate of 14 MSCFD (20,000 NCMH) I would suggest PECO but there are others.

Since the gas is used as fuel and without knowing what type of burner it will be supplying, you may or may not have to tighten the particle removable limits for the standard filter elements. A knowledgeable vendor can explain the different types of filter elements and their removal efficiencies. Be aware of the pressure drop penality for removal of smaller size particles.

I would assume the CH4 to be a major component but the presence of both free water and CO2 means a very big corrosion problem.

Cool the gas to remove the water. You can use CMS-adsorbents, if water is very small..

Contact PALL for filters for use fine mesh (Bag) filters, trial and error will also do...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back