Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gas Compressor Codes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luiz001

Mechanical
Mar 5, 2007
BR
Dear Fellows,

I want to start on Gas Compressor branch, both, fabrication and operation. I ask you which codes I should read? API, AGA, etc.

Regards,
Luiz

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Start with the basics first. Make sure you understand the thermo and how it applies. Then get some books like the IR Compressed Air Handbook, GPSA Data Book and others. You'll need to know about drivers, motors, engines, turbines and how they connect and that was a lot of trial and error (I've seen a gas turbine driving a reciprocating compressor and it wasn't a pretty site).

After all that, then you can apply standards. API has a very stringent series that doesn't apply everywhere. NFPA has some things that apply when mixing drivers along with NEC. ANSI has piping, ASME vessels and coolers. It gets bigger and bigger when you start adding the auxillary units too.

Finally, controls. Pnuematic, electric, electronic, PLC's transmitters swithches, controls, interconnecting the driver controls with the actual compressor....

My rule is: Never try to run something on a computer that you have not run by hand (or calculator/slide rule) first. Do not jump out with a set of computer tools and expect to become an good engineer on a subject let alone an expert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back