Gas compressor Cold Gas Bypass valve sizing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustSomeRoark

Chemical
Apr 12, 2007
ES
Dear colleagues,

I am currently working on a natural gas compression plant, and the dynamic simulation study carried out by a third party contractor concluded that most of the compressors shall be furnished with a Cold Gas Bypass loop (i.e. an additional on/off valve bypassing the antisurge valve providing additional recycle capacity to the ASV) in order to ensure the stringent surge prevention criteria established by the Client.

We have been provided a Cv of these CGBVs which has been calculated assuming an xT factor of 0.7. If we look at tables provided by several Vendors, these valves calculated by the Dyn Simulation contractor are very, VERY small (i.e. 2'' valve for a inlet/outlet lines sized at 10/18'' respectively based on 150 ft/s, which is the normal max gas velocity used for gas in intermittent service).

Something we are considering is that the xT of full bore ball valves is usually much lower (refer to Figure 5 in ) than globe valves, so taking this parameter into account perhaps the Cv calculated by the DynSIm provider may be larger, allowing us to provide larger on/off valves.

Have any of you experience when specifying valves for this kind of service? Are full bore, ball valves OK for it? It seems that in this case valves of the capacity dictated by the Dynamic Simulation provided are too small for the inlet/outlet pipes. Can anyone think of any reason why?

Many thanks. Should you need any further info to tackle this issue please do let me know.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'll make the leap of faith, cold gas by-pass is the start up bypass system to assure the driver is not being loaded beyond its available torques as it starts movement. If that's what you are indicating, then its easy to match driver torque output versus speed against the compressors torque versus DP. At the point you must recycle the gas to keep DP low enough not to damage the driver while starting.

DON'T forget the DP of the piping along with the valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back