Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

gas dehydration unit using TEG - startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

hskk

Chemical
Dec 1, 2005
SG
I got no experience in doing commissioning and yet I was asked to write the operating & maintenance manual.

I have a doubt as follow,

Is it practical to purge all the vessel with natural gas before starting up the unit? or just the Contactor?

Is it true that the glycol will get degraded if react with oxygen? If yes, in what conditions (temp, pressure)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Purge the unit as much as you can. Small diameter piping will auto-purge itself with the glycol as you begin to circulate. Purge the flash tank (if you have one). Yes, degradation will occur but only to a minimal amount during a startup like this. As long as you do the contactor, you should be fine.

Jim

Do you have any purging experience at all? What is the natural gas processing max design of the unit is mmscf/d? What is the dimension of the contactor and flash tank? Is any other vessels (charcoal filter, etc..) on the TEG unit. What will the operating pressure of the contactor be? Will due respect, you really need to understand all of the above or an inexperienced field hand is going to get into trouble. Potential catastrophic trouble. Give me a shout via email and we can talk further. slacey54@comcast.net or slacey54@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back