Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

gas-gas liquid liquid extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevine

Petroleum
Jul 12, 2010
EG
in a fractionation column or contactor when the gas upwards extract the gas downwards and the liquid downwards extract the liquid upwards, what is this phenomenon calle?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you referring to a molecular attraction, like hydrogen bonding?

Good luck,
Latexman

latexman could you please explain more

First, provide more detail on your question. Notice my first response is a question, because I am uncertain of your question. There are two other responses that are different, so I must not be the only one who has doubts.

Good luck,
Latexman

ok, for example in the stabilizer column, the gas produced in the re-boiler enters in the middle of the stabilizer to extract any gases which could be with the downwards condensate, and the same with condensate to extract any condensate which could be with gas upwards.

You've given a very elementary explanation of a separation tower. Yes liquid goes down vapor goes up they equilibrate and continue up and down.
What is the question?

OK i ask why vapor strips the vapor from the liquid and the same with liquid, i ask about the phenomenon and why it happens.

Basic transfer phenomenon. There is heat and mass transfer occurring at each contact stage as determined by equilibrium between components in your streams.
What is the purpose of your question? Are you working in the petrol industry?

yes, u did not get my meaning but thank u very much

Ideally, vapor rises from the stage below, where it mixes with the liquid from the stage above. The vapor from the stage below supplies the heat to vaporize the light components in the equilibrium mixture and the liquid from the stage above supplies the heat sink or cooling to condense the heavy components in the equilibrium mixture.

I'm sure there are textbooks and internet sites that explain it better than me, but that's how I think of it.

Good luck,
Latexman

Thanks a lot Latexman, i have got the idea and its almost clear.

Any system doing what nevine asks about refers to mass transfer, sometimes accompanied by heat and momentum transfer. There are many processes that deal with mass transfer in gas-liquid, liquid-liquid, etc., without chemical interaction. I recommend Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook for a review of the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back