Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Gas Insulated High Voltage Cables and Repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott

Electrical
Apr 17, 2000
US
I am looking for any information on gas insulated High Voltage cables and their repair.  I would like to hear from anyone that has experience in these types of cables (particularly repairs/maintenance)or can point me to someone who has. I realise these are old technology but I am still responsible for maintenance of these and am having problems making effective repairs.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

References:<br>1. Electrical Transmission and Distribution Reference Book by Westinghouse Electric Corporation, 777 Penn Center Boulevard, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15235. Fourth Edition: Twelfth Printing<br>There is a small paragraph on page 65 describing the low-pressure and high pressure gas-filled cables addressing their weaknesses which you may be encountering. Additional information is in papers (depending on a kind of Gas-Filled Cables you deal with):<br>2. Faucett I. T., Komives L. I., Collins H. W., and Atkinson R. W. &quot;120kV High-Pressure Gas-Filled Cable.&quot; A.I.E.E. Transactions, Vol. 61, September 1942, p. 658.<br>3. Shanklin G. B. &quot;Low-, Medium-, and High-Pressure Gas-Filled Cable.&quot; A.I.E.E. Transactions, Vol. 61, October 1942, p. 719.<br>4. Sticher J., Doan G. H., Atkinson R. W., and Meyerhoff L. &quot;High-Pressure, Gas-Filled Cable Impregnated with Extra-High Viscosity Oil.&quot; A.I.E.E. Transactions, Volume 68, Part I, 1949, p. 336.

While Gas Insulated cables are an old technology they are used (and fortunately being replaced now) throughout the CBD of Auckland City, New Zealand.<br><br>In 1998 there was a spectacular failure of the 3 parallel 110kV cables. January 1998 was particularly hot, and soil conditions were not ideal for heat dissipation. High air-conditioning loads contributed to the first gas-filled cable failing, through an inability to sufficiently dissipate heat and the age of the cables (these dated from the 1950's). This subsequently overloaded the second and third, which failed in rapid succession.<br><br>Investigation of the failures and recommended best practice for maintaining these cables was detailed in a number of reports, as Auckland City was without power in the CBD for some weeks - an incident that proved embarasing for the local supply company. This should give information on suitable maintenance practices.<br><br>Check references on the 'net under 'cable failure', 'Auckland CBD cables', 'Mercury Energy', 'AEPB' (Auckland Electric Power Board) for more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back