Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gas Pipeline Design Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

razi69

Structural
Jul 8, 2003
MY
Hello everyone,
I need some tips. I am a civil engineer, structural actually, involved in a segmental box girder bridge project.
But recently i accepted a job with an oil&gas company and now my scope of work is related to gas transmission operation. i have to construct metering station that we call a city gate, review pipe stress analysis as well as the pipe sizing etc.
Could anyone tell me where do i start to be a good gas engineer and suggestions of books on pipe design would be very helpful..Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Razi

you need following parameter to design a city gate station

maximumm hourly gas load
max. inlet pressure
min. outlet pressur
sp. gravity og gas
flowing temperatures
company policy i mean for regulator selection ie fail to open or fail to close
from the pressure cut you may calculate the noise levels to decide the # of stages of regulator and then you may use the help from following site for your other calculations

best luck

razi69,
crane technical paper 410 will suffice for your needs insofar as sizing pipe for the meter run. for the meter run itself, highly recommend obtaining aga3 report for determining meter run design and understanding metering criteria for natural gas. both of these documents ought to be obtained from inhouse technical services library or technical resources department (skilled engineering group). if not, then goto the brown bookstore web site ( ?) and order a copy there.
while i've designed several custody & non-custody meter run installations using a simple xl spreadsheet implementing aga3 calcs, you will find that the meterin station design is straight-forward and simple to accomplish. it seems that a factor that comes up all the time is available plot space as you will need to design the metering station within the alotted space.
again, check with inhouse engr's and/or measurement department for the crane technical paper and the aga3 report.
find your happy place!
-pmover

An excellent reference on natural gas transmission:

Mohitpour M., Golshan H., Murray A., (2000), Pipeline Design & Construction: A Practical Approach. New York: The American Society of Mechanical Engineers Press

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back