Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

gas pressure regulator problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

barraza

Materials
Aug 30, 2006
US
I run a 3000 watts amada altair laser. Machine model is 2412 and we've had it since 1999. Anyways I'm having a problem with the gas pressure being to high when I try to pierce any material. It will pierce and blow a big hole in thick material 3/16" and up. Eventually I will get an alarm that says Assist Gas Pressure below minimum. We contacted amada and they said it is the gas pressure regulator that cost $2,500 and about $500 for labor. Has anyone had this type of problem?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Barraza,

I guess the question would be if you have NC Gas or Manual Gas. It sounds like you have NC Gas and yes it sounds like you may have to replace the gas pressure regulator, after all, you've had this machine for 7 years and it's not unusual things for things like these to break.

The question would be if you were using dirty shopair for piercing or cutting, or maybe this valve got stuck due to debris from the Pressure regulators at the dewar or bulk tank.

In any case, they would be able to troubleshoot this problem better and if it turns out to be something else, then you shouldn't have to pay for something you didn't need in the first place.

Good Luck

What's up. It's me Hector over at Sir Michael's in Huntington Beach. Where you at now? Anyways we replaced the gas pressure regulator ($1,900) and installed it ourselves and everything is cool now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back