Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gas treatment unit design 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

intangible1984

Chemical
Jan 5, 2009
KZ
Hi All!

We are currently installing new gas treatment unit from H2S on our gas plant.

the unit flow scheme is as follows:

untreated gas enters lower part of the scrubber (absorber), while treating reagent solution (liquid) is sprayed upon it from above through the nozzle.

after gas liquid contact gas leaves scrubber trhough pipe at the top, while reagent solution falls down and using gravity is drained through another pipe to the reagent regeneration tank.

after fast regeneration solution is again circulated into the scrubber, nozzle, etc by liquid pump.

QUESTION:

given the gas rate m3/hour, solution liquid rate m3/hour, scrubber operating pressure (2-3 barg) how can we calculate dimensions of the scrubber, solution tank, pipe diameters etc?

If you could propose some books to read on this subject.

Thanx a lot!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

well, depending on a lot of things, you'll need the kentics of the reaction which will also tell you what you are doing WON'T work.

I suggest you hire a ChemE with experience, do look for a freebie here.

You can also get access to a process simulator that specializes in acid gas removal and amine sweetening. The folks at Bryan Research & Engineering know a lot about simulating processes like you describe.

HYSYS Amine Package can do the simulation quite easily if you use DEA.

BRE have this PROMAX to do better simulation based on the operation experience. Depend on which software you have.

Recommending software to an inexperienced engineer is like giving a Nissan Skyline GTR37 to a 16 year old and as a first car and sending him off on the closest freeway, nothing good will come from either one.

Because you have mentioned commercially available programs, you need to mention all of them. ChemCad, Amsim, WinSim, and others ALL USE THE SAME exact data bases to solve the complex equilibrium equations. Without specific understanding of these you can not get a logical answer. If you specify a 1" weir hieght in the absorber with mixed amines you will not get results that are satisfactory for example.

The database for a pure MDEA system will give bad results on high CO2 concentrations and if you go to the field with them, you will fail.

Hire a professional and stay awy from simulators until you are well versed in the subject.

I agree. I don't know how tight the required spec is, but you can better ask a pro and be sure it works, instead of DIY'ing a thing that doesn't work...

Hello,

Thanx to all for your answers.

We have already hired an engineering company, and they are doing their job.

It was interesting for myself to be able at least approximately to estimate the dimensions and capacity of such a unit.
If you could recommend some literature to read?

I hold degree in chemistry, not chemical engineering, therefore this is a bit novice to me.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back