Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Gas Turbine Generator Efficiency Calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

noer_nu

Mechanical
Mar 15, 2023
SG
Hi All, I am a new engineer working with Gas Turbine Generator. I am looking for a way to calculate efficiency based on online parameters available.

Available parameter:
- Inlet air temperature (T1)
- Pressure compressor discharge (PCD)
- Fuel flow
- Turbine exhaust pressure (T7)
- Power turbine inlet temperature (T5)
- Power

The formula I found in textbox require data from enthalpy and something related to fuel composition.

Is there is any approach method to estimate efficiency with all online parameters above?

Thanks
Nunu

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

All you need are three things:
[ul]
[li]fuel mass flow[/li]
[li]fuel enthalpy by mass (your choice to use LHV or HHV - LHV is typical)[/li]
[li]power[/li]
[/ul]
You need to get the units of fuel flow rate and power on the same time base (e.g. /second), and you need to get the energy units of fuel LHV/HHV and power the same (e.g. Joules)
Then you simply divide power by (fuel flow * fuel enthalpy) to get thermal efficiency

This is pretty elementary... Did you study mechanical engineering?

"Schiefgehen wird, was schiefgehen kann" - das Murphygesetz

Two points

engines burn LHV (lower heating value). In simple terms HHV includes non receoveralble energy, espcially considering turbine alone without considering exhaust heat receovery.

Power can be shaft power, but for electric generation, you can only measure generator power, this will be less than the mechanical shaft power because of generator losses could be 2.55 for a small generator.

Lou Scannon, yes I am studying mechanical but specific to static equipment.

I am in a elementary level for rotating equipment :)

Thank you for your answer, really helpful.

Do you have any book related to gas turbine efficiency. I believe I should start from the book/references.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back