Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GASKET LEAKAGE 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know the degree of importance and of risk of your application.
Anyway a possible solution is to use double gaskets, venting the space between the gaskets to a suitable treatment plant.
prex
motori@xcalcsREMOVE.com
Online tools for structural design

Where do you get the info. that a gasket is never perfectly tight?

Leaks occur or do not occur for a huge variety of reasons. If your gasket/seal ring/rtj etc. is not perfect and you have no leak it may just be that the potential leak path is too small to allow a leak (smaller than the particle size of your content).

If leakage or potential leakage is a problem there are various methods of leak detection prior to service.

Sounds like a personal problem to me. . . Did the boss chew you out or something?

Please lose the all caps key, it is the equivalent of shouting.

Crashj

Thank you Jonralph. But, when the gasket is perfectly tight (zero leakage), the tightness parameter will be infinity: it means we will need a infinite gasket stress to seal?

We must remember that the issue of leak tightness is driven by two standards

1. Laboratory - Specs we all use M and Y factors etc,API etc

2. Field experience, having just finished a flange
monitoring program, flange leakage is uncommon
especially if you measure against EPA standards ie PPM

So a "leak" or tightness depends on your point of view

Mike

I can't speak to "tightness parameter", I just know how gasket leakage is analyzed for Powertrain analysis. In that situation, a "leak" is defined as a path of zero-pressure which exists across the cross-section of the gasket.

Nowhere in that definition (which is what is used for automotive powertrain) is the implication of infinite gasket stress; rather the implication is non-zero gasket stress.

If you don't agree with my assessment; please clarify your statement. I know that this is the way that it is done, but I am not completely attuned to some of your terms. For that reason, I may be misinterpreting what you are stating.

Regards,
Brad

There is a good description of the tightness parameter that Rollerblade is speaking of at:

Since the tightness parameter is meaured using a helium mass spectrometer to measure leakage of helium at eigher 400 or 800 PSIG, this is why there is no such thing as a "leak proof" gasket. Helium is notoriously difficult to seal, and the mass spectrometer can measure leakage as small as 10^-9 cm^3/s.

Good site butelja.

After reading it, I am not clear what specific gasket applications they are testing for.

My more educated response to the original question would be that these tests are certainly worst-case--many gaskets operate in much lower differential-pressure environments. Also, they are required to hold materials which have significantly larger molecular size than helium.

Other than hydrogen, I would expect that no molecule would elicit greater 'porosity' across a gasket than helium. Since this test is essentially worst-case, wouldn't it be logical that a 'fail' under these conditions may still be effectively leak-proof for many applications?

Therefore, a seal which is not 'perfectly tight' by this standard may be in fact leak-proof for in-service conditions.

My two cents.

Brad

After going through the trail, I am getting interested with my leakage problem. We use rubber O-rings with metal to metal joint. The joint does not leak for some time and after some time, we observge leakage.
Can some one suggest a book for studying leak science which gives various parameters for seal technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back