Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gaskets for A-60 fire rated doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

anilkk

Electrical
Oct 7, 2001
IN
One of our clients wants to procure gaskets used for the existing A-60 fire rated doors installed on offshore process platforms. Gaskets provided presently have damaged and can not provide gas tight sealing to the accommodation and other safe area spaces. These gaskets are to be inserted in a groove (width 12 to 25 mm) provided all around door-frame. The gasket material should fire rating (for hydrocarbon fires) and required compressibility/elasticity to provide gas tight seat when door panel sits on door-frame. We would like to know the manufacturer from where our client can source such type of gaskets. Any suggestions ?

Regards,

Anil

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ed,
Can you tell me the dtails and contact address (Fax/email) of Keramab in Temse, Belgium so that our client can contact ?

Anil

Why don't you try the original door manufacturers? It is most likely that you will invalidate any guarantee if you use other than the manufacturers' recommendation. The manufacturer may also need to install the new seals to maintain any guarantee. If the doors are the subject of any Classification Bureau approval this will almost certainly be lost if the seals are replaced without the original manufacturers'supervision. In order to give it it's A60 rating the door will probably have undergone testing at fire test house, this also may be lost unless the seals are replaced under the manufacturers' or possibly the Classification Bureau's supervision. Seek the advice of the vessel's CB on this subject. As a matter of concern, if the door may be subject to hydrocarbon fires it should be rated to H60.

There are several companies who i have used to purchase replacement doors and for door repairs, i'm sure seals would be easily available. These companies are all in the Aberdeen area and their contact numbers should be easily available from Yellow pages or on the web

Ferguson Sea Cabs
Labtech
Vertec
Duffy and McGovan

These companies all manufacture zone rated modules for A60/H60 etc.

regards,

I agree with TYL above the best way would be to go back to the door manufacturer. They should be able to provide replacement or provide guidance to source them. Anyway the door has to be tested again with the gasket in place in the presence of the CB.
Regards
Nazeer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back