Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GD&T Symbol in Drawing Template: Note or Drawing Symbol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfarra

Automotive
Jul 25, 2012
US
Hi all-
I have an interesting problem in Pro E 4.0. We have completed some GD&T training at my company and decided to do away with our titleblock tolerances (i.e. x.x = +/- 0.1, x.xx = +/- 0.02, ect) and replace it with a note that says “UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED [profile of surface callout]” where [profile of surface callout] will be a profile of surface callout ranging from no datum structure (the profile symbol and a value) to tertiary datum structure (the profile symbol, a value, primary datum, secondary datum, and tertiary datum) in the datum reference frame.

I have set up 4 string parameters in all of my start parts: GTOL_VALUE, GTOL_PRI, GTOL_SEC, and GTOL_TER so I can control the values of each. I have also created a string parameter, GTOL, that is controlled via relations to concatenate the full text version of the note:

IF GTOL_PRI == ""
GTOL ="[profile symbol]" + GTOL_VALUE
ELSE
IF GTOL_SEC == ""
GTOL = "[profile symbol]" + GTOL_VALUE + GTOL_PRI
ELSE
IF GTOL_TER == ""
GTOL = "[profile symbol]" + GTOL_VALUE + GTOL_PRI + GTOL_SEC
ELSE
IF GTOL_PRI != "" & GTOL_SEC != "" & GTOL_TER != ""
GTOL ="[profile symbol]" + GTOL_VALUE + GTOL_PRI + GTOL_SEC + GTOL_TER
ENDIF
ENDIF
ENDIF
ENDIF

My problem comes in implementing this note in a drawing. I tried using “@[&GTOL@]” in a note in the titleblock and got a single box around one string, which does not display the GD&T note properly. I tried coding the “@[“ + “@]” into my relation and found that when I display the GTOL parameter in the note it simply shows the characters “@[“ instead of creating a box around them. I tried creating the note “@[profile_symbol@]@[&GTOL_VALUE@]@[&GTOL_PRI@]@[&GTOL_SEC@]@[&GTOL_TER@]” but when one of the datum parameters is blank a small box appears which is incorrect as well. I created a drawing symbol that I made groups for each datum but don’t like that someone could fill in the tertiary datum but forget to activate it on the drawing. I also didn’t like the fact that text box containing each datum was of fixed size. The box should be different sizes if the primary datum was “A” or “A @mmc”. I know you can make parametric drawing symbols but can you control the length of a line by the number of characters? I didn’t see any possibility of relations in drawing symbols.

Of the solutions I have the drawing symbol is the only one that works in its current state. I’m hoping that someone may be able to throw out another idea. Ideally I would have a relation controlled note. Like my GTOL relation but controlling a note instead of a string parameter. Any advice on how to change the size of a line with differing string lengths in drawing symbols would also be appreciated.

Hope I didn’t ramble too much,
Steven

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might want to try using a special GD&T font to create the symbol rather than the @[ way of creating boxed dimensions. I have used CyberMetrics GD&T Font in other programs like Word and Excel. There are others but I have not used them. One that caught my eye is it's free but you need some add on control programs to make some of the special composite frames, etc. which sounds cumbersome.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

LPS?

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Little Pink Star - It's how they keep score on this site, not that it matters. There is a spot to click and add a pink star for helpful posts. I'll probably get red flagged for soliciting pink stars. Not sure what they did with the yellow moons and green clovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back