Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GD and T

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUSO

Mechanical
Jul 12, 2002
US
Anyone know of a good book to use to teach oneself how to use Geometric dimensions and tolerancing?? I mean both on how to read a print with it, dimension a part and to show why you should care, and how to inspect a part once it's completed???

We don't use it at my company too much, but we are going foreign on our parts, along with tighter tolerancing on some stuff, so I looking to get up to snuff on this stuff. I know some GD and T, but nothing to write home about.

Thanks..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I went to a seminar on GD&T taught by William Tandler of Multi Metrics. I thought it was very well taught, and explained a lot of detail without being too "over the head". The book used in that course is "GD&T Fundamentals Level I", also by William Tandler. Hope this helps!

The most comlete reference book I've seen on GD&T to date is the "Dimensioning and Tolerancing Handbook" Edited by Paul Drake, Jr., McGraw-Hill publishers (ISBN 0-07-018141-4) The book is a collaborative effort of nearly 20 different industry experts in the field of dimensioning and tolerancing and is one of the best I've seen on the market to date.

The book not only covers all the GD&T basics, but it then links these principles to all other aspects of design, manufacture and inspection. These include: Dimensional Management, Tolerance Optimization Strategies, mathematical principles of GD&T, statistical tolerancing, tolerance allocation, paper gaging, precision metrology, gaging and gage R&R calculations, etc. Because is covers all aspects of tolerancing, the same book can be used by engineers, machinists, inspectors, etc.

Check out Amazon.com ..... I'm sure you'll be able to find it there.

GDTGUY

RUSO,

I work for a company that has books and training in the area of GD&T. We are offering several public seminars with open enrollment in the area of GD&T Fundamentals this fall. We also have a complete line of GD&T materials. Please visit our web site, for more information on this topic or contact me directly at 888-832-3273. I hope we can help.

Hi,
I was in the same situation as you, but i took a course at community college. The book we used was "Fundamentals of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerencing, 2nd edition", by Alex Krulikowski. Publisher is' Delmar Publisher' and their website is delmar.com .I find it extremely useful and it covers most situations you'd find in engineering drawings. It is also an extremely useful aid in design . Hopefully this w'd help.

ruso,
ASME Y14.5M is the official GD&T book and is published by ASME. They want $105 for a copy which was way to spendy for me. After a lot of searching I found many variations on this theme used and new books on Amazon.com. I think I searched using either G, D and T or spelled out.

I bought a used book for about $12 plus shipping was about $15. Just arrived in good condition. This one is entitled, "Modern Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing with Workbook Section by Lowell W. Foster and is based on ASME Y14.5M-1994 which I think is still current but reapproved in 1999. You can log onto the ASME website to verify this.

Hope this helps,

Leonard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back