Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GE PLC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

jammul

Electrical
Mar 30, 2009
US
Hello,
I've worked with and on AB controllers for the past 16 years. I've just taken a new position where most of the controllers are GE (GENIUS, 90-30's, and others). I need to get "up-to-speed" on the GE stuff. any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When I went from AB to siemens, I think I had a few areas that I needed to get up to speed.

How do you configure hardware? Is there certain issues to be aware of such as hardware/software conflicts? In AB the software/firmware moved in lock step in CPR releases.

How do all functions relate in AB to GE? What is the same what is different? Is there some basic knowledge that is fundamental to understanding the function? I know in siemens if you do not use the function at the scan time you have to jump over it, this was different from AB.

Specialty cards such as RS232, Ethernet, controlnet(AB) vs profibus (siemens) (what is the standard in GE?) How do these cards work?

Of course if you can get a GE processor, see how you upload, download, change code online, offline. How do you download firmware to different cards? Can you get online thru RS232, some protocol that GE has or can you get online thru Ethernet?

Gather all the pdfs on GEs in a library on your laptop. Nothing worse than not having the manuals when your doing a startup.

I work with the GE Fanuc PLCs all the time. Are you using Proficy? They just came out with a new version of the software and my company is just now starting to update to that. GE offers classes all the time for the different levels of programing. I would check into getting into one of those and see if your company will pay for it so you can get more familiar with the controllers and especially the program software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back