Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gear design

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamal11

Mechanical
Apr 30, 2006
US
Hi all,
I need to rerate the Gear box product from strength point and tell our counter part, what torque does this gear box can with stand.
I understand GEAR boxes fail by wear and pitting and other means. My task is to tell what torque does this gear box can with stand. Once I give those numbers thier task is to reevaluate the product for lubrication failure, misalignment etc and rerate their product.

Gear Box consists of couple of different sizes of gears, pinions and shafts. My understanding is to take each component and evaluate its strength, Pick the weakest part in the assembly and tell this is what your product can with stand.

Or do i need to do an assembly analysis of different gears and to find out the weakest link and tell the product will fail at this torque.
I am not redesigning the product. I am just trying to understand what torque it is capable of with standing.
Nieghbouring parts add stiffness to a component, and could increase the load capabiltiy of the parts, Will a Gear be able to with stand more force in an assembly than it alone can take, Esp when it is about to move away from the contact with the mating gear.
So i feel, just do the analysis on a single component and tell the gear will with stand this much amount of torque is sufficient. Ami correct in my understanding.
Regards
Kamalakar

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the gear is the first gear or a middle one in a gear train, we need to scale up the torque according to the gear train ratio and arrive at the maximim torque.

You could discover the weak link by a progressive increase in load up to failure. This is assuming you have limited analysis resources. Other challenges could by overtemp operations, minimal lube, operation into stall, etc.

The wrong thing to do is overload statically. The gearbox should be tested in a manner similar to intended use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back