Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Gear Grease Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

gb2835

Mechanical
Aug 24, 2021
US
My advisor has tasked me with finding a grease to use for our gear assembly. The gears are not in a gearbox, thus oil is not ideal. The gears also work at low speeds (on the magnitude of a person's walking gait cycle). Temperatures are also on the magnitude of room temperature (not constantly turning and low load, we are currently in early testing). I've never used gear grease before (used to working with closed gearboxes) so I was wondering if anyone hear had any suggestions? IMO I think finding something on Amazon is sufficient enough, but curious if others have additional thoughts.

Edit: The gears are 1045 CS.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're gears are in the open you're going to want to use a dry film or paste lubricant to avoid attracting dust and dirt.

You should also consider using a pair of materials that resists galling to reduce the demand for lubrication. Considering making one of the gears from bronze or plastic. Also look into using corrosion resistant materials, 400 series stainless or electroplated zinc to help with environmental exposure. Rust creates abrasive particles.

Thank you TugboarEng, all great points. I will look into your recommended lubricants.

I would certainly prefer 400 SS, but I am at the mercy of my advisor on this one. After testing, the gear assembly will be used with higher load thus the usage of steel, but yes a smoother material would help with the current application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back