Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gear Tooth Geometry in NX 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh2013

Mechanical
Mar 24, 2013
US
Has anyone dealt with drawing a gear in NX? something with correct involute and tooth geometry. If so what is the best way to go about that?
I have all the data just want to know what the best/most accurate way of drawing the tooth profile in the program would be.

I'm using NX 7.5

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Attached are a couple of NX Open programs (one GRIP and one UFUNC) which will create gears. The UFUNC program will create a simple spur gear as a solid model, while the Grip program is a bit more comprehensive with not only spur gears but also bevel and helical gears but it's best used to create wireframe profiles which can then be extruded into a solid. Note that while they will run in both Metric and Imperial unit files, the default values are in Inches. Note that the GRIP program will run with either 32- or 64-bit NX, but the UFUNC program will only run with 32-bit versions of NX.

After yuo download the file, edit the file extension from .zipper to .zip and then extract the files.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=8f50ed67-08ba-4a9e-95f0-f080b58231db&file=Gears.zipper
Mr. Baker,
I can't (do not know) how to open this attachment.....
What kind of file is this?
Can you attaché a NX file?

Thanks!

MZ7DYJ

attached is a part we use NX7.5. Open tool expressions fill in all of the "input" names. The only issue here is if the minor diameter is less than the base circle diameter. If this happens you will have to model in your own fillet radius. This will leave the root radius up to you, to figure out how, you want it to look.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9cf95dd2-3d90-445d-abc2-89d30112001c&file=GEAR_TEMPLATE.prt
mz7dyj, you have to rename the file to Gears.zip
Sometimes people rename exe or zip files because some servers don't allow you to upload them or the antivirus can complain about its content.

SDETERS I have a couple questions.
I like the Expression setup in your file but I am having issues with it creating the geometry without giving errors.
I can't change the major or minor diameters.
Any ideas?
I'm updating the following values:
INPUT_Gear_Thickness
INPUT_Major_Diameter
INPUT_Minor_Diameter
INPUT_Number_of_teeth
INPUT_Pitch_Diameter
INPUT_Pressure_Angle
INPUT_Tooth_Thickness

I start to receive the errors at the major diameter input.
Am I missing something here?

John, I'm having trouble opening your files in NX, I've extracted the zip files but can't seem to open them in the program. Any advice?

Thanks!

If you are getting errors rollback to the first sketch. Then do an update. Is your Minor Diameter less than your Base Diameter? If so you will need to sketch in the fillet root. Look in sketch 7. You may need to edit this sketch to make a complete extrude for this to work for you.

No, minor dia. is not less than base dia. I'll look into it more and update this thread when I figure it out or have additional questions.

Thanks!

John, are you still reading this thread ?
I read the manual ( NX 7.5 Manual) regarding the GC toolkits, there is nothing saying that we shouldn't use these tools.
Is there a reason ? I can see that the results aren't "fully featurized" but i assume that if one has the need, -why use something different ? Support issues ?

Regards,
Tomas

Yes, I'm still here (I read EVERYTHING ;-)

Perhaps it would be better to say that you should use them "at your own risk" in that if anything fails or you discover that it's incompatible with something else that we've done in a more recent version of NX (for example, I haven't enabled the GC tools in NX 9.0 with the Ribbon UI), it's unlikely that we will be able to help you much.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

If you do run into an error do a feature play back and then edit sketch 7. The extrude in this sketch should tell you what is going on. We just had an issue where the two involutes cintersected each other was more than the Outside diameter of the gear.

JohnRBaker said:
Yes, I'm still here (I read EVERYTHING ;-)

Always watching...

download.aspx

www.nxjournaling.com

So, should we (?) say anything about the gear tools in .... ? - and how to enable ? :)
I have not tried the tools you provided in your zip but i did play around with the CG stuff and being a "gear layman", the results look very good, whatever my opinion is worth.

( Btw , it's good that you read everything :) )

Regards,
Tomas

Yes, in a way is was developed only for use in China, mostly because it was developed in China at a Chinese university. The real reason that we didn't want to offer it globally was because there was no assurance that we could maintain the code since it was not done using our standard coding practices and tools. It's really a series of NX Open applications written by a couple of graduate students, which we paid for so legally the codes does belong to us, originally for a few local (China) companies. So as long as the NX Open tools continue to work so will the programs but to limit our risk and potential expenses maintaining something that we had no real control over the coding or even quality, we've just kept it a secret despite the fact that it was included with the NX install, just not enabled unless you know the 'magic words' ;-)

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Does not work in NX9, I get "License for NX china package isn't available" I have a mach2 license. Average Stuff from Siemens

Regards
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back