Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GearTrax 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstline

Mechanical
Jul 4, 2002
CA
We have GearTrax 2006 that is not installed and we are running SW 2007. I need to do some gearing but I am wondering if these programs will play well together.

I couldn't find any immediate references to this. Any knowledge would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

cstline,
Here's the contact info for Gear Trax:
IMG

I think the fellows name is Greg Hoffman

Here's the site Link:

Macduff [spin]
Colin Fitzpatrick
Mechanical Design Engineer
Solidworks 2007 SP 2.2
Dell 390 XP Pro SP 2
nVida Quadro FX 3450/4000

Thanx for the tip. Obviously I was thinking about other things.

The rep from Camnetics called me this morning and answered my question. Sort of!

For anyone who is interested his reply was that GearTrax 2006 might work with SW 2007 if it is a late version. But he could neither tell me the version number nor would he guarantee that it would actually work.

Now for the decision. Should I or should I not.

I would try it because it's an old version and you're on a newr verision of SW. Now, if you had Geartrax 2007 and an older version of SW 2006, I wouldn't try that one.

Regards,

Macduff [spin]
Colin Fitzpatrick
Mechanical Design Engineer
Solidworks 2007 SP 4.0
Dell 390 XP Pro SP 2
nVida Quadro FX 3450/4000

I would just try it otherwise you may never know.

An alternative ... if you have SW2006 you could install it and GearTrax on a separate computer and then open the resulting model in SW2007.

... or just update your seat of GearTrax.

[cheers]

As soon as I can get clear of this swamp full of alligators, and go buy a 6 pack of wobbly pops, I'm going to give it a shot.

I will just attempt an install of GearTrax to SW 2007. It's worth a shot. I'll let ya know what happens.

Do you happen to have CDs and a serial number for SW 2006? If you are careful, multiple versions of SW can coexist on the same machine, and you could pair the GearTrax 2006 with SW 2006. However, I do not know SolidWorks' stance on users continuing to use the old version once they upgrade.

Eric

Up until the first of the year, when we switched over to SWx2006, we had a subscription to GearTrax. We let it expire and now we create all of our power transmission parts out of Toolbox.

Reaper.

Well installing went well but it didn't work. After creating the gear/pulley and GearTrax starts SW the resulting error is "GearTrax is not compatible with this version of SolidWorks". Surprise, Surprise.

Another way to get into your pocket, again.

GearTrax is a really good program that really cuts a lot of time out of the equation, especially for fundamental parts. Back to the 'drawing board'.

Thanx for your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back