Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GEC CDG 34 Electromechanical Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

eti

Electrical
Aug 16, 2002
GB
Hi

I have a one off GEC CDG 34 relay to test, a legacy relay left on a fairly new system, it protects an 11kV transformer feeder. The remainder of the relays are modern digital type.

Can anyone suggest a suitable secondary test set for the high currents involevd?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Probably a 5A relay - most decent test sets should be able to source that current. Or is there something unusual about this one?

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Oh, and the CDG 34 is composed of three single-phase relays which could be 3 identical O/C elements, or 2 O/C elements plus a third designed for use in the residual connection of a balanced set as an E/F element. You should be able to test them independently of each other using a single phase set.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

these relays have very high burdens. If you are using a modern relay test kit, make sure to use a mode that has the highest compliance voltage.

Dear all

Thank you for the advice. Scotty, there is a CDG14 protecting the same feeder for earth fault, so the CDG34 is probably only doing overcurrent. I've confirmed it's a 5A relay, so a fairly high burden. The sverker unit we have will probably be ok, it can deliver up to 50 single phase with the elements linked out.

Thanks all.

eti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back