Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

gen kw & kvar sharing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jalover

Electrical
Dec 1, 2007
EE
hello guys! i need some technical advice about our generators problems. we got 3 gen rated 230 kw each using mechanical governor, brushless self excitation. if 2 gen are in parallel, the sharing of kw not continously stable. sometimes ok then after several mins the diff is too big, say 45 kw. we taried to load 100% and the sharing of kw & kvar found ok,, say 230/228 kw, but sometimes the diff becoming bigger. any thoughts about it. thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do have one or more governors set on isochronous? Put all the governors on droop or get a load sharing panel.
Or, if a governor has some sticktion it may not be noticable running alone but have issues running in parallel.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

our genies uses mechanical governor. i'm just wondering why the load sharing diff is changing..if there is some problem with the load sharing due to governor or some adjustment, it would show uniform reading and not that, now good then later not good. sometimes the diff is only 2 kw, after some times, it becomes 30..40.. even 50 and thats quiet big i guess. im not aware with the speed droop adjustment of the gen. I am thinking also maybe something in the fuel system, is thispossible? thanks gfor your info.

Also change the fuel filters, could have some trash from the install in them. Is the differential consistant in that the same gen pushes more kW each instance?

Set the frequency at 60Hz each of your generators individually when delivering its expected load. The next time you parallel them, both will share equitably if the governors are good.

if the governors are good.

How are you measuring KW?
What is your load?
Occasionally a new set will have an air leak between the day tank and the fuel pump. It sucks a little air and you get air bubbles in the fuel. A restricted fuel filter or air bubbles on one set may lead to the other set taking too much load.
Both sets should run the same frequency unloaded typically 61.8 Hz or 51.5 Hz. Both should run at 60 Hz or 50 Hz at full load.
If the sets initially share the load well, the settings are probably good.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back