Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General Fee Percentage for Landscape Architecture 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jartgo

Civil/Environmental
Oct 20, 2005
US
My firm is in discussions with the possibility of bringing in a landscape architect and offer those services, mostly to public clients. Can you all give a general percentage base for determining fees of that nature? Of course every project is different, but for civil engineering for a public works project you can sometimes use 15% as a rule of thumb to get you in the ballpark for costs of design and construction admin. Is there a similar rule of thumb for landscape architecture?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Landscape Architecture services are fodder for the DBE allocation on public/federal projects. There is a lot of LA DBE competition and the amount of work on projects really varies by client. NY projects have strict requirements, versus none in TN or IN, at least not on the projects I worked on (which included new-build interstate). We posted a vacancy recently for a junior LA and got over 100 applications, many from very over-qualified individuals.

On two of my projects (in NY), which were similar, reconstructing what is known here as a step street, the LA (D/WBE) fee was as high as the civil/structural portion; these required extensive landscape design, presentations, etc.

Generally - again, here in NY - I would say the run of the mill landscape design is 2-5% of the total design fee - D/WBE fodder.

If you are doing medium sized typical public works projects, the percentage of overall project costs for landscaping is around 2-3%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back