Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

General notes to connection/ fabricator engineer - service loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

hines86

Structural
Nov 7, 2013
US
Please excuse my ignorance on this topic as I am a novice at submitting connection design to the fabricator and just want to make sure we are communicating things properly in our notes. In AISC code of standards for design drawings it says something to the effect that the design engineer should note rather they are using service loads or factored loads. Now does the statement service loads refer to ASD maximum load values or is it just a straight combination of service loads without say .75 for live or .75 for wind depending on the load combination.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Loads must be stated as either ASD or LRFD. Are you a connection designer submitting your designs to the fabricator or are you the Engineer of Record delegating the connection design to the fabricator?

We are the engineer of record delegating connection design to the fabricator. I do realize that AISC also notes that the engineer is to note if the connections are to be designed to ASD or LRFD, part d of section 3.1.2 in AISC 13th ed. Part C 3.1.2 states "Whether the data required in (b) is given at service load level or factored load level; and", then it goes on to part d, which was discussed. So from what I gather Part (c)- service load is referencing ASD load combinations, is that correct?

Thank you for your response.

Yes. Service loads should be given for ASD connection design. The connection engineer should not have to calculate the DL LL interactions/combinations.

Providing fabrication and erection efficient structural design of connections. Consulting services for structural welding and bolting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back