Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

generating contour lines from survey data

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDK

Civil/Environmental
Jul 19, 2001
PH
I use a Sokkia SET5F total station to gather field survey points and ProLink software to communicate with my PC.

This software allows me to transfer the survey points to a dxf file that I then import into an AutoCAD Lt 2001i drawing. This dxf file has the points with any annotations and elevation listed

Does anyone know of an easy way to generate contour lines from the data transferred to an AutoCAD file?

I have been taking it to a survey firm who has used some high end packages to generate the contour lines for me but I am looking for a simple and economical way to do this directly.

Thanks

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The drawing consists of a bunch of points which I want to draw contour lines around.

A contour line is a topographical map element that describes a constant elevation. The points will range from say 258 to 261 m above sea level and I want to draw lines at the say half meter intervals.

The program would have to be able to interpolate between the different points and draw the contours.

I know that some high end (i.e. expensive) programs will do this. I am looking for something less expensive suitable for occasional use. Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

I do not know of anything that does this, but if you are ambitious enough, you could try to write something in LISP or VBA. You might just pick a point and then calculate the next closest point and draw a polyline between them. This would continue until it closed the contour or produced an error.

BU

RDK,

I'm unaware of any inexpensive programs that will create contours for you from points. I think your best shot would be to plot out your points and then draw the contours by hand and then digitize them into your drawing (or draw them manually in the computer). Simply interpolate bewteen two adjacent points to the contour inteval you want and place a marker of some sort there (an autocad point on a distinct layer would probably work well). Then draw a polyline through the points. If you have a large site, I would probably stick with your surveyor.

Brian

Dear RDK,
Please send a copy of your dxf file to me.
I will check the data and maybe I can write a routine for it.
heydarif@yahoo.com
:)
Farzad

Hi!
Also there is some shareware/freeware out there that will do this somewhat. Get an old softdesk 8 civil program if it's available. Shouldn't cost to much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back