Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Generative Sheetmetal Design vs DXF 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

asimovic

Mechanical
Apr 5, 2013
RS
Hi! How can I update (automatically) existing dfx file (created from Generative Sheetmetal Design1s module, command Save as DXF), when I change original CATPart?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ferdo, I generate CATPart in GSD. Then I use command Save as DXF. Next step: open generated dxf file (after command Save as DXF) and create Text box with some information (material, thickness etc) and I save it again like dxf. So, if I change original CATPart (Generative Sheetmetal Design), I mean about dimensions-example, and after that when I open exist dxf, I expect to сее new contour with old text box with old informations. But that doesn't happen. I mean, in this case doesn`t links between CATPart and dxf file (somthing like between CATPart and CATDrawing). Why?

There is no link, for the same reason that if you created a plot that was sent to a printer that the software would not, every time you saved, spool up another print job with the latest output. Drawing eXchange Format is a one-way trip to send to other people.

to avoid confusion:
GSD == Generative Shape Design
SMD == Generative Sheet Metal Design
but dxf will still be dxf, standardized (one-way-) output...

regards,
LWolf

DXF files are not CATIA files and will not update like CATIA files.

Save as DXF function in SMD is intended to provide a flat profile of the sheetmetal part in order to feed a production machine.

If you want a drawing you should do a CATDrawing file from your Part. This will update. If you need a DXF to exchange with other party, then make a DXF from the CATDRawing.

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

itsmyjob wrote:
"Save as DXF function in SMD is intended to provide a flat profile of the sheetmetal part in order to feed a production machine".
Ok, you can create dxf from CATIA software but you haven`t ability to update this type of files if you change original CATpart (Generative Sheet Metal Design). Ridiculously?
itsmyjob wrote:
"If you want a drawing you should do a CATDrawing file from your Part. This will update. If you need a DXF to exchange with other party, then make a DXF from the CATDRawing." It will be a half solution, I know that option.

I want to thank everyone who participated in the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back