Generator Exhaust 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutiabdullah

Mechanical
Nov 22, 2013
KW
Hi all,
I am looking for a reference regarding generator exhaust. I want to know wether generator exhaust air can be thrown in the unoocupied ventilated area. Like in my case, i want to know wether generator air can be exhausted in the parking garage which is enclosed and ventilated. Any suggestions and references would help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Horrible idea, its poisonous stuff and can kill people; not sure why they are asking you to prove this. Try genset manufacturers mech eng design guidelines for exhaust. Air emission should be regulated in your are and I bet NOx level within your space will be way above their standards. Moreover, building code wouldn't allow you to do that.

See NFPA 37, 6.3.5.4.2
Engine exhaust shall be OUTSIDE the building, without recirculation of exhaust.

No way this question should even come up, as it is elementary.

My first thought was: is it Arpil 1st already?

But it seems you are seriously asking this. Why do you call a Parking garage unoccupied? Last time I checked people were driving the cars and people were walking to and from the cars. And even if you have a fully-automated car fleet (with no people in the cars), some staff like mechnicas enter the garage.

Unless the goal is exterminating people, you should not een consider it.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.
The air that is being exhausted through generator are of two types. one is combustion air and the other one is cooling air. comubstion air cfm is very low in which we have no question of exhausting it other than outside becuase it contains contaminants and other poisonous. But the other cooling air to cool radiator is not contaminated only it will be of high temperature. Its just like a compressor exhaust. Just had a meeting with our local authority and in any case we are not allowed to exhaust any of these air into enclosed region.
Thank you all.

It's a stupid idea. Consider the condensation of the gases, the smell permeating all attached structure, the annoyance of the sound, the soot buildup and perhaps the chronic health effects of the poisonous gases.

Exhaust NOx has to go outside thats a no brainer. But the heat dissipated from the the cooling of the alternator can be rejected to the garage cause it is non toxic hot air and obviously the cooling air can also be taken from the garage. But if the generator is used for life protection such as for example feeding fire pumps, pressurisation syst. for smoke control, emergency elevators, or emergency lighting, fire alarm syst. then you have to cool from the outside cause you have to design with the notion that it has to work for a min. of 2hrs with respect to NFPA regulations.
This is how we do it in canada.

Genieconseil

Check your local code under the chimney and vents section. Generator exhaust should be a dedicated system that terminates above all other construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back