Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Generator Governor and Exciter Settings - where to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevesummers

Electrical
Nov 2, 2015
GB
Hi All,

I have carried out various system studies over the years, and while I understand power system stability and the general concepts of exciters and governors, I lack much in depth knowledge of the specifics of them. So I have a few general questions, I was hoping people could help with.

Are there any good general theory books, on the specifics of exciters and governors.. I have the Kundur book and a few other stability books, and have read the IEEE 421 standard on exciters, but these don’t really go into enough detail.

Are there any rules of thumb for choosing and tuning the settings of governors and exciters, ( I know there is sample date in the IEEE 421 standard).Droop settings for example I get, but not so much the other values. For example I have a small island case, where I am seeing some unstable results (I.e. voltage not being damped down), that I know should be easily resolved by adjusting some of the parameters...but I am not sure where to start.

Lastly, does anyone know of any good online training courses in these areas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Woodward has some good application notes on governing and load control,

Basler has some good papers on excitation control and tuning,
DIGITAL EXCITATION SYSTEM PROVIDES ENHANCED TUNING
OVER ANALOG SYSTEMS

Tuning a PID Controller for a Digital Excitation Control System

You should be able to search both of these on the web.

Basler puts on a Distributed Generation Technical Seminar every couple of years that is very good.

Woodward has some classes in general governing and power management, but not sure they'll meet your needs.

Hope that helps, MikeL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back