Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Generator Inspection 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenix999

Mechanical
Oct 24, 2008
GB
Hi,

Can anyone (well a experienced anyone) give me some tips on what kind of test should be made on a 11kV generator, to detect possible faults like insulation failure.

Thanks and regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Motorxplosion thanks for your opinion, I also had the opinion that the EDA too expensive.

The generator manufacturer is a Leroy Sommer 6 MW, 11kV.
I don't have big problems with dirt because all the air that passes thought it is filtered and the environment is about 50ºC nice and warm so no humidity problems.

My opinion is that this generator should last forever, or almost....

Would it pay up the EDA check?? it takes at the very least 64 min. only the test it self. other tests might be much faster and the the information that they miss is almost irrelevant. What do you think?

Thanks

From my opinion, if you megger and do IP, and measure of resistence..... and do a trend each year.... you´ll see how insulation goes.... and maybe this is enough... i remember Leroy used to varnish generators with VPI system, I think maybe you have to see visual things like, the lost of magnetic wedges... i have experience with some AVK units that lost all the wedges....

if you want to do the test i propose, i think you´ll get a lot of Portugal companies that could do it... or as i say before.... near you on vigo Spain, got a company that could help you... if you need the contact i could give it

good luck

Partial Discharge Analysis, both off-line testing and especially on-line monitoring, is a good (fast, easy) way of testing the condition of generator stator insulation while the nachine is in normal operation and under all the usual thermal, mechanical and electrical stresses that it sees in normal use. Besides Doble, other leading PD instrument companies are IRIS Power, PD Tech, Power Diagnostix and Cutler-Hammer. They all do a pretty good job of measuring PD and cost roughly the same (e.g. 50K for one portable instrument + 15K installation per machine). Whoever is closest/easiest to deal with would likely be your best bet if you want to go the PD route.

Good luck and all the best to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back