Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Generator Paralleling Switchgeaer

Status
Not open for further replies.

chad44

Electrical
Dec 18, 2001
US
I have used Russelectric switchgear for most of the hospital projects that I have done. It has been my perception that they are the premier manufacturer of reliable paralleling switchgear. However, for an upcoming State of Ohio project, I need to specify three manufacturers. Has anyone had experience with Russelectric that could suggest some "or equal" companies?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Russelectric pretty much owns the standby market for hospitals, at least in my area, mostly because they have done a very good job of getting themselves written into specifications. Their gear is good. others that seem to compete well against them are ASCO and GE Zenith. There are also a number of smaller more specialized switchgear companies that provide very good switchgear for the standby and prime power generator markets like Point 8, Shallbatter, Myers, and Thomson Technology to name a few. Depends on who reps other manufacturers as to who may be available to compete in your area. Also all the major generator set players, like CAT, Cummins, Kohler and Generac also provide switchgear and may be a possible source of competitive bids.

Hope that helps, Mike L.

I have experience with Russelectric emergency power switchboards and agree that they manufacture a premium switchboard with the perfomance and reliability that is needed when lives are literally on the line.

It is not surprising that you would be required to obtain multiple bids when doing a project for a government entity. In order to ensure that you get a product of the quality, performance, and reliability that you are accustomed to you should be certain to have a detailed specification of the requirements for the project. This will ensure that the three bids are equivalent and that they will meet your expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back