Generator Room (EPS) in a Parking Garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTArch

Specifier/Regulator
Mar 3, 2016
US
Hi All,

What if any is the Fire Resistance Rating for a room enclosing an Emergency Power Supply (Generator Room) in a parking Garage (including Code references Please).

I am currently look at:
NFPA 110 Chapter 7, 7.2.1.1 requires the Emergency Generator room to be in a 2 hour enclosure.

NFPA 37 4.1.2 Seems to say, a generator in a Parking Garage does not need fire protection to enclose a generator, BUT if it is enclosed, it should be an min. 1 hour rating.

"The current reading suggests the diesel generators provided in parking garages do not need to be protected by fire restive construction".
See P.3 of 6.

I have looked at thread184-374872 & thread179-365200 on this forum to no avail.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks Stookeyfpe for the questions:
Not a High Rise.
Building Code(s): 2012 NFPA & ICC combo
Fuel Tank Volume (guesstimate: 30 Gallons)

I don't know what an ICC combo is so I'm purely speculating since the adopted codes and edition dictate the requirements so you are on your own to figure that out.

If you have an NEC Article 700 system, you may be required to comply with NFPA 110. All editions of the IFC require compliance with NFPA 110.

Thanks Stookeyfpe,

The State adopts NFPA 1 and NFPA 101, as well as portions of the IBC, etc. (ICC = International Code Council i.e. publishers of the IBC, etc.)
Compliance with NFPA 110... So 2 hour enclosure it is.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back