Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GENERATOR ROTOR REMOVAL PLATFORM

Status
Not open for further replies.

amper

Electrical
Oct 3, 2008
GB
HI ANY GOOD IDEA WERE TO FIND GOOD INFORMATION ABOUT PLATFORMS TO ROTOR REMOVAL ON GENERTAOR ? ILL APPRECIATE ANY GOOD TIPS .

REGARDS

AMPER

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here you can see the rotor being pulled out of a 2500hp 1800 rpm horizontal motor. The platform is built from normal scaffold poles and wood. Some wood cribbing used to keep the rotor from rolling.

I'm sure your needs are affected by the size of the machine and what you're going to do with that rotor (do you need rollers). For larger motors (3500 hp 324 rpm) our more consciencious shop builds a contoured wooden cradle to distribute the rotor weight rather than concentrating it on one line along the bottom.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

Salient pole rotor would be more fragile (than squirrel cage motor rotor) - I imagine that would need to be supported from the shaft ends

By the way, can you describe the machine you're talking about and what are you going to do with rotor once it's removed?

the machine is a brush generator bdax more than 27 tons . space is reduce around we can not used a crane some some people used it rail boogie removal system . if you have seen any like that or have pics ill appreciate if you can send me some copies . thanks to all of you .

regards

amper

edison we dont pretend to don all the job our self but we like reducer budget find out good price on crane as you may know prices on cranes on this sector are very expensive sometime more than the spare to overhauling the generator . we really to do business with company from india is far risky anybody this day create profile on internet reclaiming lot of experience but what you have on the end is cowboys and lot of problems .as well some prices from copany abroas are more expensive than in us

Depends on where you are, country wise that is. In some parts of the world there are contractors who specialize in this type of work, (and especially Brush) and have standard rail designs for rotor removal.

Brush has some technical information showing different types of rotor removal (crane and rail) which might be helpful. It is available to the public and is called a TDI, if my memory serves. Contact your local Brush contact.

I think you will find some views on this link.

rmw

Siemens Westinghouse have done many rotor removals on BDAX-9 machines in the UK. You could try calling Orlando, but you might have more joy contacting the old Parsons works at Heaton, Newcastle or or the service group at Beeston, Nottinghamshire. SW are not cheap by any means, although possibly less expensive than Brush. If it's a smaller BDAX - which it sounds like it is from the rotor mass - then the chances are someone like Wood Group supporting the offshore industries will have dealt with them.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

I've just re-read the earlier post. I thought 27 tons was the rotor but it might be whole machine. I don't think the exciter rotor was quite that heavy but the main rotor was certainly a big lump of steel - impressive to see it suspended from a mobile crane. Might have a photo somewhere.

image.php

well when i mentioned crane is because take off the rotor with any technics at some stage you need to lift up {crane up} if not how wyou going to kake off 27 tons { weight spec on the manual}

Can you translate that last post in to English? I have read it five times and it is incomprehensible nonsense.

image.php

The answer to the original question depends a lot on how the rotor is to be removed from the generator's frame/stator. How can the machine be broken down to gain access to lift and move it, how much working room there is around the unit and what sorts of equipment one can bring in to do the work.

Once the rotor is out, what do you want to do with it? If its just going to sit there, building cribbing is relatively simple. But of you need access to the rotor itself (perhaps you need to turn it during some maintenance procedure) that may complicate things.

Scotty,

I was being a little tongue in cheek about the weight of your exciter rotor, but the generator rotor in that BDAX frame 9 beast of yours (formerly) weighted a lot more than 27 tons. Somehow I remember that being the weight of maybe a BDAX 7 series rotor.

amper,

As PHovanian has mentioned, your methodology depends on what it is that you are tying to accomplish in the end. You didn't specify that in your original post.

If your crane access to the generator rotor in the package enclosure is limited, you will have to rail via the use of a platform the rotor to a point where you can lift it with a crane. That would only be necessary if you intended to do some more work on the rotor like remove the end caps, rewind, do bearing journal work, etc.

If your purpose is only to inspect the generator, then you can rail the rotor out on the platform and leave it set there while you accomplish all the tasks.

If you are going to do any detailed work on the rotor then it has to be taken to a clean weather protected place and that will involve the use of a crane at some point.

At this point, it is unclear to us what you are actually trying to accomplish.

rmw

Hi rmw,

About 40 tonnes rings a bell. I recall the one from the steam set in that photo was nearer 60 tonnes.

image.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back