Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Geodesic Dome Roof 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncletank

Mechanical
Jul 15, 2009
NZ
Hi,

We are currently designing some 40m (130ft) Diesel tanks to be located in a climate between 10 - 40°C (50-104 °F) close to the ocean.

We are interested in using aluminium geodesic domes primarily to reduce construction costs and get away from using columns or truss type roof support structures.

I have read on this forum that they can sometimes not be suitable near marine environments, but provided the right grade and spec of Aluminium that is selected they can be ok.

I have also ready in Philip Myers "Above Ground Storage Tanks" that these types of roofs can be suitable for a number of different products.

My questions are:

1) Is an aluminium geodesic dome suitable for diesel service?
2) If so, would you need to block off some of the circumferential vent opening around the tank to prevent excessive vapour emmisions and smells?
3) Does anyone have any previous experience with diesel tanks with geodome roofs?
4) Are there other issues with geodomes in marine environments?

Thanks in advance
Sam

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

On this diametr, the aluminium geodesic dome will cost you much more than a standard external floating roof, made of anything called steel and painted well. It will also seal just as good as any fancy valves and vents on the aluminium roof. However, the shiny aluminium roof will stick-out at horizont a lot better than the poor cousing with floating roof.
Cheers,
gr2vessels

Geez, I didn't think of it, I was only exploring the line of feasibility, not damage control. However, my gosh, yes it could be target if sticks out like the proverbial from the dog's behind. But again, it's subject of discouraging the 'others' by installing a battery of 'patriots' behind the tanks.
Cheers,
gr2vessels

1) Is an aluminium geodesic dome suitable for diesel service?
Yes

2) If so, would you need to block off some of the circumferential vent opening around the tank to prevent excessive vapour emmisions and smells?
No - the floating roof would do that job.

3) Does anyone have any previous experience with diesel tanks with geodome roofs?
Yes

4) Are there other issues with geodomes in marine environments?
Not really - aluminum is pretty good in marine environments but you could ask a dome vendor these questions.

Thanks for all your posts
Have spoken with HMT regarding this and have got the same responses as IFR's noted above.

Just to clarify we are not installing floating roofs over the diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back