Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Geometric stiffness matrix for a beam element 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiso

Structural
Dec 26, 2001
FI
Hello all!

Can anyone tell me where I can find the geometric stiffness matrix for a 12-dof beam element.

ps. I allready posted this question last week, but it somehow disappeared ....

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The best published writeup I've seen is in "Theory of Matrix Structural Analysis" by J.S. Przemieniecki, pp 388-391, McGraw-Hill, 1968. His derivation is for a 2D beam (6 DOF), but is easily extended to 3D (12 DOF). I've successfully used this to determine beam buckling as well as the effect of end-loading on the lateral frequencies.

I believe that the matrix is also laid out in the COSMIC NASTRAN Theoretical Manual, although I don't have my copy at hand.

If you still need more info, let me know.

Bob

Yes, I mean the beam column element. I just didn't know that was the right name for it. Thanks for both of you for your interest.

I'll try to derive it. If I think of it quickly, I would just place the same terms (as in the 4 dof element) for the rest of the four dofs. This would give me the needed 8 dofs. The rest of the dofs would be zero (axial and the torsion terms). I hope this isn't a problem in the buckling analysis, where it needs to be positive definite. I guess the standard stiffness matrix have to be suppressed before the buckling analysis.

Regards
Kim

Here is the standard three-dimensional, 12-dof beam element stiffness matrix (without moment amplification effect of axial load, cited by rajbeer, above, which might be a fairly complex derivation in 3-D), with usual nomenclature and usual sign conventions (i.e., all end displacements and end forces, and all double arrowheads of end rotations and end moments, depicted positive along positive local x, y, z axes). It's listed here in ANSI C, though easy to discern the meaning and convert to any other language desired.

framel3d - Compute three-dimensional, frame-element, local stiffness matrix as defined in V. James Meyers, Matrix Analysis of Structures, 1983, p. 409.

Code:
double E,area,Iy,Iz,J,G,k[12][12];
int i,j;

/*
Compute member local stiffness matrix. (Meyers, p. 409, Eq. 8.18.)
Code:
 */

k[ 1][ 1] =  E*area/L;
k[ 1][ 7] = -k[1][1];
k[ 2][ 2] =  12.0*E*Iz/(L*L*L);
k[ 2][ 6] =  6.0*E*Iz/(L*L);
k[ 2][ 8] = -k[2][2];
k[ 2][12] =  k[2][6];
k[ 3][ 3] =  12.0*E*Iy/(L*L*L);
k[ 3][ 5] = -6.0*E*Iy/(L*L);
k[ 3][ 9] = -k[3][3];
k[ 3][11] =  k[3][5];
k[ 4][ 4] =  G*J/L;
k[ 4][10] = -k[4][4];
k[ 5][ 5] =  4.0*E*Iy/L;
k[ 5][ 9] =  6.0*E*Iy/(L*L);
k[ 5][11] =  2.0*E*Iy/L;
k[ 6][ 6] =  4.0*E*Iz/L;
k[ 6][ 8] = -6.0*E*Iz/(L*L);
k[ 6][12] =  2.0*E*Iz/L;
k[ 7][ 7] =  k[1][1];
k[ 8][ 8] =  k[2][2];
k[ 8][12] = -k[2][6];
k[ 9][ 9] =  k[3][3];
k[ 9][11] =  k[5][9];
k[10][10] =  k[4][4];
k[11][11] =  k[5][5];
k[12][12] =  k[6][6];

/*
Fill in lower part of symmetric member local stiffness matrix.
Code:
 */

for(i=2;i<=12;i++)
   for(j=1;j<ii;j++)
      k[i][j] = k[j][i];

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back