Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Geometric Tolerancing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worker7

Mechanical
Dec 4, 2016
US
I am dimensioning a part that has holes put in on the front side and the back side. I am using basic dimensions for the hole locations and true positional tolerancing. Once I show Datums B and C for the surfaces of the part in the front view, is it OK to show them again in the rear view of the part?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Worker7,

In general, it is good practice to show datums once only, each. It is good practice to show specifications only once, in case someone wants to make changes to them. It may not be obvious you called them up several times. If your drawing is large and confusing and multi-page, it may be a good idea to show the datums again, for reference.

Questions like this should go in forum1103.

--
JHG

I know of nothing that restricts the number of times a datum is shown. If it adds clarity, show them in every view. Dimensions and specifications are an entirely different matter, they should be shown only once. If you need them for some reason in another view they must be reference only.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back