Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Geometrical Sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdrtech

Nuclear
Sep 19, 2007
GB
Hi folks,

This may already be a subject of discussion(s) however the search facility doesn't seem to work so I'm starting a nwew!

We are having a review of methodologies (oh no I hear you cry)and one of the discussion points is Geometrical sets. I have always used them and think they are very beneficial. However those who haven't and don't are complaning that they have to use them because even if you switch their use off in tools options they still appear (under the partbody) as soon as you create a piece of geometry.
Is this normal; in r17sp6 can you not turn geometrical sets off, or is there an option or environment setting that I am missing!!

Thanks,
P

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can turn the automatic creation of a Geometric Set OFF, but as you noticed, it will automatically create one if you create any non-solid geometry.

That is, unless you enable "Hybrid Design", which lets you put the wireframe geometry into the Part Body. There have been numerous discussions on Hybrid Design on this and other forums. There are arguments both for and against, but unless you are an OEM, the biggest factor is whether or not your Data Customer will let you submit data with Hybrid Design in it. Many OEM's will not let you do this.

Thanks for the replies .... they all make sense.

It seems some of the users must have had hybrid design switched on (hence the reason they weren't seeing any Geo set in their parts) and now that the common settings in the methodology has it switched off they are seeing geo sets.

P

During your methodologies review, decide early if you want to use Hybrid Design or not. (and then lock the setting)

You can run into lots of problems with you allow users to switch back and forth. We've never been able to convert a hybrid body into a non-hybrid one.

Unfortunately, jackk, we now have some parts out there that have been created in Hybrid. Up till now it hasn't been a problem until someone tried to use a bolean operation in non-HD mode on a Hybrid part (copy - paste special with link a cast body into a part to do the machining removal operation) - resulting in the new Body being copied! If I now lock the setting then we can't switch on these minimal cases without admin (me) changing it each time.

It isn't a huge problem and everyone is now aware of the implications.
Thanks again for all your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back