Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GEOMETRY IMPORT PROBLEM IN ANSYS 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

skengg

Mechanical
Jun 19, 2021
IN
Hello to all,
i have attached picture of my problem which i am facing while importing IGES format file in ansys. it's industrial control valve body, when i am improting in ANSYS its shape gets distorted drastically.
i am actually newbie in FEA world, i am 3d cad modeler but also at the moment learning Ansys independently as a hobby.
can anybody explain me what's the reason behind it?

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=bdbba4ba-1b91-4cc3-b2a8-876d6e5196d5&file=Screenshot_2023-01-13_164201.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

maybe post in the ANSYS forum ?

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Importing the IGES into Soldworks, I-Deas and Algor all is fine.

Looks like ANSYS doesn't like trimming the surfaces that create the internal face blends.

rothers,
i also guess so that maybe the structure of modelling is what affecting to importing in ansys like the features or surface tool which i used.

Hello!,
I import the IGES file in FEMAP V2022.2 and not problem here.
I have colored randonmly all surfaces sheet bodies to let you know that IGES is a bad format if you try to import solid bodies, in this case use STEP or Parasolid format that support genuine 3-D solid bodies.
In this case what I see is a total of 60 sheet surface bodies, all isolated, in this case the user should stitch "by hand" all surfaces to create a solid body.
In FEMAP this job can be done without any problem, but to me you have exported also including in the IGES file the construction geometry, not the final one, then the result is what you see in the screen.
Better export the 3-d solid as STEP, not IGES. Remember, IGES is for exporting surfaces or wireframe geometry, when dealing with 3-D CAD solid geometry always use STEP.

REDUCE_BORE_BODY_50_MM_hcgly2.png

Best regards,
Blas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blas Molero Hidalgo
Ingeniero Industrial
Director

IBERISA
48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: Blog de FEMAP & NX Nastran:

Status
Not open for further replies.