Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Geopak - Cross section navigator

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJgeo

Geotechnical
Oct 11, 2004
US
Hello-

I have to go through 16 miles of cross sections, 50 feet at a time to determine if the slopes meet certain conditions. Basically, I need to know which sidehill fills are steeper than 8H:1V. I am using Geopak Road, V8 and I know there has to be a faster way than drawing a line representing that slope and moving it around to see if the cross section is 8:1 or steeper. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

AJgeo

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First write out your tin file. Then go to your dtm pallete, analysis, themes. You can specify your tin file then set your percent ranges at the bottom. When you process geopak will draw triangles between your specified ranges at your specified colors. Its a fairly simply and quick slope analysis.

Good Morning,
In Geopak you can use accu draw to help. All you have to do is use your X and Y axis pick a point enter 8, then move the cursor up and type in 1. Then you can copy the line as a cell and use it to check your slopes threw the cross section viewer. There is a draw line command in the cross section viewer that will draw the line on a slope, percent, or decimal eq. hope this helps.
Regards,
Namdac

Good morning, indeed!

Sam74: I am not sure what you mean by write out the tin file.
Do you mean to open it? I am not so proficient at geopak, I mainly use cross section navigator to determine boring locations and depths. I will give it a go though, and thanks for the help.

Namdac: This is the method I am currently using and I was hoping to find a way to shortcut the process. I also am having problems copying the line I create. I can only use "paste special" and it shows up as a picture. I understand that this has to do with my workstation permissions. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Have a good day!

-AJgeo

Use geopak road to create a tin file using your sections. Then I would use the dtm tool palette-load-DTM feature- to create some plan view topo. If you need any help using this tool just ask. Then use the analysis-themes tool as I explained above to create a slope analysis of your tin.

Sam74-

Thanks for your help, the process was a success. However, the slope analysis tool did not seem competely accurate. For example, the slope over a 5' rise in contours over a distance of 50 feet would show up as a 11.8:1 slope. This concerns me, so I went back to the cross sections and started using the "place cross section line tool" found in the cross section navigator. It is nice, I can draw multiple lines for a slope that varies, at the the rise and run that I specifiy. It is about three times as fast as accu-drawing and pasting triangles. I guess I was hoping I could just somehow process the cross sections and it would identify slopes that met certain criteria. I suppose I would have to write an mdl for that, and I should probably get to the task at hand. Regardless, thanks for all of your help!
-AJgeo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back