Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Geotechnical Engineering Careers in Tallahassee, Florida?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesserKey

Civil/Environmental
May 9, 2010
US
I recently graduated and am moving to Tallahassee, Florida at the end of the month (Girlfriend owns a house there). I'm having trouble finding a career in Tallahassee working as a Geotech (my emphasis in college). Anyone have any helpful tips for me as I continue searching for a place of employment there?

I'd greatly appreciate any help and tips one could provide me. Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not a great place for geotechs! There are only a couple of credible firms there. I assume you have checked Ardaman and PSI, but have you checked esp.? They were formerly Trow, Inc., a very good geotechnical and materials firm based in Toronto. They have an office in Tallahassee, though I believe it is a project office.

Good luck.

Good luck. Nobody is hiring in Florida. You might get lucky, but more than half the engineers I know are out of work or have relocated. The few that are left are working reduced hours.

You might want to check out
I don't know if the State of Florida is hiring, but if so consider their Department of Environmental Protection and their Department of Transportation. One of the few advantages of living at the State capital is that's where most of the State offices are found.

LesserKey....you've probably already considered this, but if not, try a couple of the outlying municipalities like Quincy, Bainbridge or Thomasville. Check City of Tallahassee and Leon County government, plus FSU/FAMU facilities planning/engineering departments.

Get some type of engineering job, even if not geotech, rather that go outside the profession.

Check with Douglas Engineering. He knows everyone in town, so he might be able to point you to someone.

Good luck. Bad time to have to look, but hopefully something will turn up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back