Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Geotextile reinforced slope with cohesive backfill

Status
Not open for further replies.

calgeo

Geotechnical
Aug 14, 2001
US
I am looking for references for geotextile reinforced slopes with cohesive backfill. I am aware that typically cohesionless soils are used for backfill, however, it is desireable to use the onsite cohesive soils if possible due to the large area.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may want to check out Paradrain geogrids by Linear Composites. Paradrain is a composite geogrid and drainage element. They are designed for use in reinforced slopes in cohesive soils.

What is the slope supporting? If you wouldn't be happy putting your foundations on that material un-reinforced don't do it just because it has a bit of geogrid in it. While you can undoubtedly get the slope to stand up, the cohesive backfill will settle and creep more or less as it would before being reinforced.

You may wish to check the University of Alberta Website or the Canadian Geotechnical Journal and Conferences for the Devon testfill in which different types of geogrids were used with cohesive soil. I think that there was an article in the Quebec Conference on the Devon test fill. Check Scott and Sego authors etc.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back