Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Get angular velocity on a node (or element extremity)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndreRodrigues

Structural
Oct 28, 2010
DK
I'm using the parametric design language to model a dynamic problem using the BEAM54 element.
I need to take the angular (or rotational) velocity in some nodes to use them as initial conditions.
I can do it in the graphical user interface, using the "list results" option of the pos-processor.
But I need to do it automatically, in the same way you can get displacement velocities using v_y("node number") and storing them in a vector.
I searched in the *GET command help file, to no avail.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We can't get angular velocity directly?but we can get angular displacement over time?and then differentiate this curve to get angular velocity.

Thanks for your answer.
Since I'm using lots of substeps and storing the results only for the last one, I'm not sure it would give accurate results in my case, but its a good idea, I could even ask for the complete solution for all the substeps, do the necessary calculations, and then output results only for the last substep of each step.

Meanwhile I found another way to do it.
What I did was use the PRNSOL command (equivalent to the "list results" option), but directed the output to a txt file.
After that I read the file to a array, and its done.
The commands I used were:

/HEADER,OFF,OFF,OFF,OFF,OFF,OFF !turn off the headers
/PAGE,nelem+2,,nelem+2 !defines the number of lines per page
/FORMAT,15,E,15,10, !defines the format (exponential)
/output,omgz1,txt !redirects output to "omgz1.txt"
PRNSOL,OMG,Z !lists the desired results
/out !end of output statement

*dim,omg,array,nelem+1,2 !creates the array
*VREAD,omg,'omgz1','txt',,IJK,nelem+1,2,1,2, !reads the file
(2E16.10)

Its not terribly efficient from the computational side, but it minimizes the need for additional calculations and the code is short.

Thanks again for your time, its very difficult to get answers to these very specific problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back