Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GET RID OF LOW GRADE HEAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

paduk

Civil/Environmental
Jul 2, 2007
GB
Hi guys,
I am looking for some ideas as a way of taking low-grade heat out of water.
Must be artistic (the kind of stirling engines ...).
Does anybody got any ides?
Thank you
Sorry I ve posted this also in the civil section but maybe here is more appropriate

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Use a compressor to pull a vacuum over the water and compress the flash steam to a usable pressure. A steam ejector would also work. You will need extraction pumps to get the cooled water out of the vacuum vessel.

Hi Guys,
the water's temperature is 27-28 C degrees and we want to low the temperature as we need to use this water to flush toilets ann the client is concern about legionella.
So we were thinking about a stirling engine using a low delta T to get rid of thi low grade heat and at the same time have a sort of technical-artistic input on the site.

27C! That really is low grade. How much of it do you need to cool?

What is your heat sink and at what temperature is it? do you need to heat air or water from a lower temperature than 27C

Do you have a need for higher grade heat, say around 80C? A heat pump could be used... but its not very artistic unless you graffiti the casing.

Dan

Wouldn't it be cheaper to treat the water?

I wasn't aware you could get legionella from toilets- I thought it had to be airborne (e.g. evaporative air conditioners).

Unless they're drinking from the toilets...............

I agreee. Is kind of far fetched to think about getting legionella from flushing toilets. In fact, it is the first time that I am hearing such idea...

Actually at the very beginning it seemed to be strange also to me, but if you have a look to the regulations here (uk) one of the risk of getting legionella is linked with flushing toilets: it is odd I know.
We re trying to get rid of the heat using something artistic cause the site is a very famous attraction and we want to attire people explaining them the physical process of this and try to stimulate curiosity and rise the awarness of green issues connected to the building construction.
We re also thinking about all the possible processes (ClO2, UV and whatever) to eradicate legionella, but basically it is a marketing thing we are trying to achieve so it wold be better if this was "cool"...I know so awful...

paduke..

"We re trying to get rid of the heat using something artistic cause the site is a very famous attraction and we want to attire people explaining them the physical process of this and try to stimulate curiosity and rise the awarness of green issues connected to the building construction"

How about a circular fountain with a statue of a famous polititian in the center ?

.....will that be "artistic" enough ?

MJC

Think about your theme too. A brewery had a pond in front of the main building that had fountains spraying the water to cool the water before discharge into the area surface water.

The company sales pitch was on how pure the water is in making their brand. Needless to say, the people walking past saw dark water in the pond and went, yikes, not in my beer.

That feature was removed.

How about just injecting room temperature compressed air in water? The air will cool down water as it decompresses. And a bit of evaporation should help too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back