Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

getch() function

Status
Not open for further replies.

qUarC

Computer
Jan 14, 2005
RO
I have written a simple game with a ball which bounces off the margins of the screen and at the bottom of the screen is my pad which is controlled by 'a' and 'd' buttons on my keyboard.:(simplified)
int c = 1;
while(1)
{
if(kbhit())
{
c = getch();
if(c == 27) exit(1);
if(c == 'a' || c == 'A') movepadleft();
if(c == 'd' || c == 'D') movepadright();
}
movetheball();
}
The thing that i don't like is: when i press a or d the pad moves for a short period of time, then stops and then moves constantly as long as i keep the button pressed.(it is the same thing just if i open notepad and press a letter: the letter i press apears, then there is a pause and then it prints that letter al long as i keep the button pressed).
This function(getch()) is not suitable for this problem? What alternatives i have to solve the problem?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You're bumping up against the keyboard repeat rate. You'll need accessto the raw data from the keyboard specifying when a key-up/key-down action has occured.

And do you know what are the equivalent KeyPressed and KeyReleased functions because i have bc5.0 and i don't have them?

What OS are you writing this in? To get beyond the limitations of getch(), scanf(), etc., you may need to use an additional library. On *nix systems ncurses comes to mind.

-10d

Preseumably you are using Windows (kbhit doesn't exist on any other OS). You can change the typemetric rate from keyboard properties. The default is about .75 way down the scale. If you change it to .25 way down, it might achieve what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back