Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Getting a Masters Degree in Structural Engineering 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiSEiwish

Structural
Mar 28, 2013
US
I graduated with only a BS in Civil Engineering and proceeded directly into work. I've worked at consulting companies performing structural design for around 6 years. Is there any point in going back to school to get a MS?
Here is a bit of personal info for all of those who may provide insight.
1. I like design work. I enjoy working on design teams, solving problems, creating construction documents, etc.
2. I like building design.
3. I like learning new structural concepts and improving my existing knowledge. There is a lot about structural engineering that I don't know, which I am not satisfied with.
4. I like to teach, and would like to be in a position someday, professionally, where I can mentor younger engineers.
5. I can see myself working my way up the company ladder, but still want to be involved in projects.

I guess I would like to know if there is a benefit to getting a MS rather than going through textbooks myself. I understand that going to a class will allow me to learn the new info better, but it does cost a lot of money and don't know if it is worth it from that perspective. Additionally I would assume that a MS is a good resume enhancer, but I am opposed to going back for that reason.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My experience working with engineers with MS degrees, is that 2 years of work experience is worth more than the degree. Keep in mind it's your professional responsibility to continue learning as an engineer. I'd look for courses/texts on the stuff you find deficient (the previous editions of some textbooks are often quite cheap, there was a thread in the structural forum about good cheap books on amazon a while back).

canwesteng said:
My experience working with engineers with MS degrees, is that 2 years of work experience is worth more than the degree.
Sometimes... but others, the extra schooling means they can solve a wider type of problem two years of experience experience often can't match.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back