Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting a Masters degree 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sachamo

Electrical
Jul 9, 2005
US
Background: I have about 10 years of experience in the US Navy working with RF receivers/jammers, completed an undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering (minor in Mechanical Eng Technology), have an EIT certificate and now entering one of the best masters programs. Initially I wanted to pursue power but something my advisor said has me thinking there may be a more time relevant path.

I wish to make myself as marketable as possible upon graduation and intend to complete the PE licensing process. My EE master will be coupled with a master in Naval Architecture (dual degree). If you were me, enjoying everything EE except computer science/programming, which subspecialty would you pursue?

Sachamo Joe

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What you specialize in at the MS level won't define or limit your career. The main advantage of a master's is the work you do on a thesis, which is a major project to conceive, execute, and document. The additional courses are handy, as well as the mindset you learn from solving open ended problems as opposed to the more textbook examples from undergrad. Plus, when you consider all the non-engineering courses that are in undergrad, a grad degree almost doubles your amount of formal engineer education. Enjoy!

You should follow your heart. Going for "as marketable as possible" sounds like you would head in a direction you do not have a strong interest or passion in. That could be for a very unsatifying life. Going for a PE and having a jammer background in the Navy could set you up for a very interesting consulting position.
ekline is right, an MS will not limit you by boxing you into a specialty. It will show that you can make it throug a formal program.
So go with what interests you. The success will follow.

I appreciate the insight. I’m in a position where there are vast opportunities and have the goal of maximizing those opportunities (full ride). I will try to focus classes toward a thesis that takes me in a comfortable direction. I understand there are not really any rich and famous engineers (maybe famous w.r.t. ones that royally screwed things up), but family comfort is important. All in balance… Thanks!

Sachamo Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back