Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Getting a spreadsheet out of a non-excel BOM (SWX06) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

plusfours

Mechanical
May 19, 2005
GB
I have been very frustrated about copying data from the non-Excel bill of materials out of SWX into a spreadsheet (for costing analysis etc). I like the new BOM as Excel seems to be clunky, but you can't copy and paste the data easily. I have been reduced to creating two drawings with the different BOM types so I can extract the data. However after a bit of fiddling around I have found a way.

If you click anywhere on the BOM, it's property manager appears on the left of the screen. One of the buttons available at the bottom of the box, called 'BOM Contents' allows you to arrange order and hide columns. If you highlight all of the rows, by clicking the empty grey box on the top left of the table (the pointer changes to an arrow) and drag down to the bottom of the row, all the rows turn black. Now press CTRL and C together (standard copy to clipboard) and voila the data is now on the clipboard. (NB: You can't right click and copy)
Paste it into the spreadsheet and you're good to go.

Plusfours
Good taste never goes out of fashion

Yeah, that looks good, but you need to be careful - for example, if you have a part number starting with a zero (0), when you paste it into Excel it sees it as a number and deletes the zero. Still deserves a star.

Regards,

bandh

One ca easily write a macro to read the data in the BOM and write it in an Excel spreadsheet. I've done it and it works. It is so fast I had to insert a timer to slow it down.

Or you could just click on the BOM, then do a File > Save As and select Text or CSV as the "Save as type".

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​
SW2006-SP5 Basic ... No PDM​

FYI ... SW2007 also has Excel(.xls) as a "Save as type", and the "Save as" is in the RMB click menu.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​
SW2006-SP5 Basic ... No PDM​

I have also written a macro. Works much better than saving the BOM out and then opening it up in Excel. Saves time and some steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back