Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting all part files in ONE location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaydenn

Mechanical
Jan 13, 2005
CA
Lets say I need to give a UG assembly file to a customer.
Now, what I have is a top level assembly file filled with sub assy's, detail parts, nuts, bolts, etc; all of which are scattered throughout my companies network. It's no problem for me to load parts over the network however it is a problem for me to send this assy to a customer.

Is there a function where I can have UG save the assembly file AND copy all the required detail part files to one location?

I know in autodesk inventor this was called "pack n' go".

Thanks,

JAY

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK, there is a shareware program that someone posted on another forum which will create a zip file of all of the components in an assembly. The program is launched from within NX but you do not even need to have the assembly open at the time. It uses the current Load Options settings to determine which files are included in the set of files copied into the zip file.

I've attached a zip file (edit the extension from .zipper to .zip before attempting to extract any files) containing 3 files. It's best to place them in your personal NX startup and applications folders as follows:

Place the file 'ugzipc.dlg' in the Application folder.

Place the other two files, 'ugzipc.dll' and 'ugzipc.men', in your startup folder.

After installing these files, when you start NX, you will find a new item added to your File pull-down menu, 'Zip Assembly...'. When you select this item a dialog will come up asking you either for the name of the top-level assembly file, or if you already do have the Assembly open, you can ask that it be the current Work Part. You will also need to enter the name of that wish to give to the .zip file.

Anyway, give this a try as I think it will more than fill your requirements.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

If you want the file all in one location what you do is run ugzipc as above and turn of the option to store the directory paths. That way when you unpack the zip archive the data will all be placed in a single directory.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks,
That sounds like a good solution.

John,
Can you be a bit more clear on where to copy these files?

I am not familiar with "adding things" to UG so I don't know these locations off the top of my head.

Thanks,
JAY

If you haven't already, you can set of locations where you can set and store items which you wish to include with NX when it's launched.

Start by creating a local folder whose exact name is not important, perhaps something like 'my_settings'. Inside this folder create two additional folders, one named 'startup' and the other 'application'. It is into these folders that you are to place the files as described in my previous post. Now in order to get this to be recognized by the system, in your user profile you will need to add the following environment variable:

UGII_USER_DIR=<path to your 'my_settings' folder>\

Now log-off from Windows, log back in, launch NX and it will be as I described in my previous note.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Cypress, CA

John,
It seems like a really useful application. Thank you for sharing.

I wonder if you could tell me where "the environment" that you were referring to is? I couldn't find it in the menus.

Thank you.

I was referring to 'Environment Variables'.

In windows, double-click the item on your desktop titled 'My Computer' and when the explorer window comes up, place you cursor over some 'white space' and press MB3 and when the list of actions come up select 'Properties'. When the 'System Properties' page comes up select the 'Advanced' tab and at the bottom of that page you will see a button labeled 'Environment Variables'. Select it and the dialog that comes up will basically allow you to set User variables (in the top panel), which will only be in effect when YOU log into the system, or System variables (in the lower panel), which be in effect no matter who logs on your workstation. Here's where you can add New variables or Edit existing ones.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Cypress, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back