Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting an Assembly ready for drafitng?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wjlaughlin

Mechanical
Jul 23, 2004
US
I am working with a very large assembly that consists of alot of round parts with many of the different parts that have distinct features that need to be sectioned by themselves in a sense to see all of them. How do i section this in the drafting view?

can i section each one indavidually?
do i have to cut the model up using datums and trim to body function?
or is there a different way that this can be done?

Thank you in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Metfuel,
I'll assume that your using the 'master model' concept (the actual dwg is in seperate file than the assy [which has seperate components as well], in which the assy is brought into the dwg as a component). Just add views as you normally would on the drawing sheet (any view, sections, revolved, step, etc). To filter out 'unwanted' components from the view (the pieces you don't want to see), do this:
From the pull down menu, click:
Assembiles, Exploded view, Hide component and follow the bouncing ball. To view a component hidden in this manner, just click 'show component' instead of 'hide component' and follow that bouncing ball.
From one section view, you could copy the view multiple times, with each view showing a seperate sectioned component (each view having different components hidden).
Another method would be to have each component, or solid, on seperate layers and adjust your visible in view mask accordingly to view the desire solid. NOTE: I don't personally recommend this method, but...

I hope this helps...

SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back